2Mês·

Separation from Palo Alto

I just sold my Palo Alto Networks $PANW (-1,61%) . The plan was actually to build up the position bit by bit through a one-time investment followed by a savings plan, but the stock completely ran away from me.

Right now, the valuation is too high for me, so I just don’t feel comfortable holding it anymore. That said, with a 129% profit, I certainly can’t complain.


It was probably too early, as usual, and I’ll probably regret it in a month or a year, but you never know.

10.08
Palo Alto Networks logo
Vendido x4,454 em € 325,00
€ 1.447,51
129,76%
23
12 Comentários

imagem de perfil
Congratulations on cashing out your winnings 👍
•
6
•
No one has ever gone broke from taking profits 👍
•
3
•
@Schochi But you don't get rich that way, either.
••
@JohannaMichel-Leitner With a gain of ~130%, I see it differently. Of course, as another member suggested, we could have set a stop-loss to still capitalize on any further upward movements. 👍
•
1
•
@Schochi The compound interest effect just goes out the window when you take profits.
•
1
•
imagem de perfil
If it makes you feel any better, I got out a little earlier, haha
•
2
•
imagem de perfil
@jkb92 I read that here, yeah. Those few euros per share I made when I sold later don't really make much of a difference anyway :D
••
imagem de perfil
But if you actually wanted to increase your position and now you “just” think it’s overvalued, why didn’t you just set a stop-loss? If it keeps climbing, great. If it goes down, then it would have triggered the sale. 🤷🏽‍♀️

I have it in my portfolio too, and it’s currently up 117%. I’m holding on to it.
•
1
•
imagem de perfil
@Boerse_nach_Bauchgefuehl You're absolutely right—I could have done that. I just usually have a hard time figuring out the right distance for the stop-loss. How do you handle that?
••
imagem de perfil
@Boerse_nach_Bauchgefuehl Whatever works for you. If the stop-loss is very close to the current price, then of course there’s a good chance it will trigger on even a small pullback. However, in your case, the alternative would be to sell and take profits anyway. So if I were in your shoes, I’d probably set the stop-loss here in a way that would definitely lock in a ~120% profit—especially since I’d already be willing to sell right now (and if the price climbs higher, I’d adjust the stop-loss accordingly). 🙂
•
1
•
imagem de perfil
I'm currently still holding 90% of my position, and I'm also undecided about whether I should sell or not.
••
imagem de perfil
Congratulations on taking profits! In the long run, I think Fortinet is a more stable choice.
••
Participar na conversa