1Mo·

Turnaround or get rid of it?

I'm down nearly 60% on Boston Scientific. Has it already hit rock bottom, and can things only go up from here, or is this a hopeless loss and should I just sell the remains?


What are the reasons to buy in right now, of all times? What are the reasons to sell?


$BSX (-0,53 %)

5
10 Commentaires

image de profil
What were your reasons for buying back then? Has anything fundamentally changed since then? What went wrong, and can't the pieces be put back together after all? You're already invested—so when you ask about "getting in right now of all times," are you referring to buying more?
•
4
•
image de profil
@Dividendenopi I’m deliberately phrasing the question this way because I should only “stick with” a stock if I would still buy it today.

My decision to buy back then was primarily based on the fact that I was looking for a stock with growth potential in the medical sector, but unfortunately, without doing any in-depth research, I simply followed the mindset that “if others are buying it, it can’t hurt me”—which, in hindsight, probably wasn’t the best reasoning.
••
image de profil
If you already have Boston in your portfolio and have stuck with it this far, then you might as well wait and see if the year’s low holds. If not, a further 20% drop in the share price is certainly possible.

In my view, now is not the time to make an initial purchase—unless you’re buying in installments and taking a very long-term view.
•
2
•
image de profil
@7Trader I see it differently. In my opinion, CRV is great right now.
••
image de profil
@jkb92 You can look at it however you want. I don't have any 🔮 either

If I were looking to get back in now, I’d wait and see whether today’s low holds or gets broken. I’d wait until I see a clear reversal candle on the daily chart at the $42.20 support level before making my first purchase.

​If there’s a confirmed break above the 50s (starting around 47.50 USD), and the medium-term downtrend is officially broken, then I’d add to my position.

​And if, contrary to expectations, the price does end up hitting the monthly 200-day moving average at around $35.00, I’d keep some cash on hand and buy more.

Then let it ride......
••
image de profil
@7Trader You're right; we can definitely wait and see if the low holds. But I'm fairly confident that it will. That's why I've entered the market a bit more aggressively.
••
image de profil
@jkb92 go for it 😎🤙🏽
•
1
•
image de profil
Pretty rambling and unstructured 😅
On the weekly chart, it looks like we’re hitting a bottom around $42, and the divergence in the RSI is bullish.
Revenue and profit growth are also looking good.
I’d recommend staying in and taking another look if the price drops below $40.
•
2
•
image de profil
@BeachPlease Not to mention that Insider invested 9 million. I've built up a good position.
••
Could it be that back then you were only looking at the stock and not the company itself? Things look good through February 2025. But that’s not all you should be doing.

Here’s what ChatGPT has to say about it:

“Yes—things have gone a bit wrong at Boston Scientific recently, but I wouldn’t go so far as to call it ‘hopeless.’ The roughly 60% drop in the stock price is primarily a valuation correction combined with several operational setbacks, not a collapse of the business.
What exactly happened?
1. The two major growth drivers are weakening
In my opinion, this is the most important point.
• Electrophysiology / FARAPULSE: Boston Scientific had an extremely strong growth driver in pulsed-field ablation. However, by 2026, growth in the U.S. had slowed significantly, partly due to increased competition.
• WATCHMAN: Demand—or rather, the number of referrals for atrial appendage closure—fell short of expectations.
As a result, BSX had to lower its full-year forecast for the second consecutive time in July. (Investing.com)
This is particularly troubling for the stock market because BSX had previously been valued at a high growth multiple. When growth suddenly appears less dynamic, not only do earnings fall, but so does the P/E ratio that investors are willing to pay.

2. And now a cyberattack has also occurred
On August 25, a cybersecurity incident was discovered. It disrupted production, order processing, and shipments worldwide.
On September 8, Boston Scientific announced that, as a result, it would likely not meet its previous Q3 and 2026 guidance. (Reuters)
However, this is a different matter than a structural slump in demand:
Cyberattack → temporary production/delivery issues → revenue deferral
is, in principle, fixable.
The question is rather how much revenue will be permanently lost and how quickly the backlog can be cleared.

3. Added to this are product and quality issues
For the WATCHMAN, there has already been an FDA Class I recall of the TruSeal Access System due to an increased risk of air embolisms under certain conditions. (FDA Access Data)
And with the ACCOLADE pacemakers, there was also a correction/recall issue in 2026. The FDA updated its communication on this matter in May 2026. (U.S. Food and Drug Administration)
This does not automatically mean that the products are defective. But it increases uncertainty and is, of course, unpleasant for a medical device manufacturer.
________________________________________
But now comes the interesting part
The company itself has not become nearly 60% worse.
In the first half of 2026:
• Revenue: +9.5%
• GAAP net income: +52.8%
• Adjusted net income: +9.6%
• Adjusted EPS: +10.2% (SEC)
For a company whose stock price has roughly halved, that’s a pretty significant difference.
That’s why I’d describe the situation something like this:
Question My Assessment
Is BSX struggling operationally? Yes
Is growth dead? Not yet
Are the FARAPULSE/WATCHMAN issues real? Yes
Is the cyberattack fundamentally destructive? Probably not
Are there additional product/regulatory risks? Yes
Is the stock automatically cheap after a -50/60% drop? No
Is a turnaround conceivable? Definitely
What are the arguments for buying in now?
The key bull case would be:
FARAPULSE stabilizes + WATCHMAN recovers + the cyber issue is resolved → earnings grow again → the P/E multiple normalizes → the stock could rebound very strongly.
And that’s exactly why the stock is much more interesting now than it was a year ago.
After all, a 50% drop in the share price doesn’t mean you just have to wait for it to double. If the market eventually becomes convinced again that BSX is growing at a sustainable double-digit rate, the valuation could rebound disproportionately.
Furthermore, despite the problems, Q2 was by no means disastrous: $5.44 billion in revenue and $0.86 in adjusted EPS exceeded expectations at the time. (Investing.com)
What are the arguments against buying in?
I’d be cautious here:
The market now knows that two key growth pillars are facing problems simultaneously.
If it turns out that
• FARAPULSE is losing market share permanently,
• WATCHMAN’s growth is structurally weaker,
• new competition is increasing price pressure,
• the product issues have further consequences
• and the cyberattack continues to have long-term effects,
then the stock could fall significantly further despite the decline so far.
That’s the key point about “-60%”:
-60% doesn’t automatically mean that another -30% is unlikely.

And regarding your Getquin post:
In my opinion, 7Trader’s comment isn’t entirely wrong:
“If the yearly low holds, wait and see.”
But I wouldn’t focus primarily on the yearly low on the chart.
The much more important question is:
What do you think Boston Scientific will earn in 2028/2029?
If you assume that BSX will, for example, return to solid double-digit EPS growth in three years, today’s price could be very attractive.
If, on the other hand, you believe that FARAPULSE and WATCHMAN will experience significantly weaker growth in the long term, the stock may not yet be cheap enough.
And for someone who’s already down 60%, I’d completely set aside the original decision to buy.
The right question isn’t:
“Should I sell because I’ve lost 60%?”
but rather:
“If I didn’t own a single share of BSX today, would I buy at this price?”
If yes → holding or buying more can be a rational decision.
If no → holding on just because of the original purchase price isn’t a good argument.
My personal impression: To me, BSX currently looks more like a turnaround/re-rating case with real risk than a “failed company.” However, I wouldn’t try to time the exact bottom. A staggered approach would be much more sensible than going all-in.
If you’d like, I can run some fundamental calculations on BSX next: fair value at 5%, 8%, 10%, and 12% earnings growth + what kind of return you could expect over 3–5 years if you bought today.

"
•
1
•
Participez à la conversation